Monday, April 11, 2011

Spaghetti Sauce

My kids all just LOVE spaghetti, especially my oldest.  They don't seem to like spaghetti and meatball as much, they seem to want something more closely resembling Prego or Ragu.  I think I have finally found a homemade sauce that my entire family enjoys.  Another plus is that it seems to stretch a pound of ground beef farther than the jar of Ragu does and it sneaks in lots more veggies:-)








Spaghetti & Lasagna Sauce

1 (28 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
1 pound lean ground beef
2 yellow onions (or 1 large), chopped
2 green bell peppers, chopped 
5 cloves garlic, chopped
2 tablespoons white sugar
1 tablespoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
salt and pepper to taste


Blend the stewed tomatoes and crushed tomatoes in a blender. 

In a stock pot or large kettle, brown the ground beef with the onions, peppers, garlic. Pour in tomatoes, and reduce heat. Add sugar, basil and oregano, and simmer about 40-60 minutes, until thickened. Season with salt and pepper before serving.

Source: allrecipes

One Year Ago:  No Peek Beef Tips


2 comments:

  1. Looks great, thanks for posting the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My kids adore spaghetti too, and this looks delish! I'm all for sneaking in more veggies :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails