Friday, April 22, 2011

Egg Rolls

Happy Earth Day!  On a day like today, I am reminded about how far I have yet to go in being a caring steward of my children's land.  I am thankful that many more people seem to realize that changes need to be made.  I have am always trying to slowly implement positive changes.  This summer, I hope to start composting.  One of my #1 changes that I would personally LOVE to see more people make, is reducing their use of plastic.  Those "convenient" plastic packages and bags are something that, not so conveniently, will stay on this plant long after you yourself are gone {possibly forever in some form}.  I'm not sure there was ever a worse invention.  Do your research on the subject, you will be appalled.  The thing that initially sickened me the most is what it is doing to remote parts of our oceans.  Very scary indeed.  Fortunately, every little change we make helps a little!  Change is a slow process so do 1 positive thing at a time and you will find that being more environmentally friendly isn't hard at all!

Cooking from scratch is not only an environmentally sound practice, but good for your health as well.  While I fully recognize egg rolls are NOT good for me, I also know that these homemade ones pictured below are made with a handful of ingredients that are not actually all that bad.  We have always loved to have egg rolls with our Chinese food but aside from not tasting as good as homemade, all those individual packaged egg rolls sicken me in their little plastic sleeves.  That is the kind of waste that makes my stomach turn, and is one of the many reasons that I avoid the premade freezer foods.

You will find that I DO typically use a couple of convenience items in these egg rolls, namely, bagged coleslaw mix & premade egg roll wraps.  Remember, baby steps.  I am often pressed for time when I am making these and I just don't reasistically have time to make my own egg roll wraps.  I do sometimes buy a head of cabbage instead, it just depends on how much prep time I am going to have.


Delicious & Easy Egg Rolls 

1 pound ground pork
2 teaspoon ground ginger
2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. white pepper
1 quart peanut oil for frying
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour 
2 tablespoons water
3 1/2 cups shredded bagged coleslaw mix
10-12 (7 inch square) egg roll wrappers
2 tablespoons sesame seeds (optional)

Season pork with ginger and garlic powder and mix thoroughly. Heat mixture in a medium skillet, stirring, until pork is cooked through and no longer pink. Set aside.

In another large skillet heat oil to about 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) or medium high heat. While oil is heating, combine flour and water in a bowl until they form a paste. In a separate bowl combine the cabbage, carrots and reserved pork mixture. Mix all together.

Lay out one egg roll skin with a corner pointed toward you. Place about a 1/4 to 1/3 cup of the cabbage, carrot and pork mixture on egg roll paper and fold corner up over the mixture. Fold left and right corners toward the center and continue to roll. Brush a bit of the flour paste on the final corner to help seal the egg roll.

 Place egg rolls into heated oil and fry, turning occasionally, until golden brown. Remove from oil and drain on paper towels or rack. Put on serving plate and top with sesame seeds if desired.

One Year Ago:  The Best Banana Bread {I still maintain that this, really is, THE best banana bread}





1 comment:

  1. Lovely post! I love love love homemade egg rolls - I'll have to bookmark this one.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails