Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Chocolate Eclair Cake


Let me just say that this cake pictured above may look innocent, but it is actually very dangerous.  This may be one of the easiest desserts that I have even made.  Combine that with how incredibly delicious it is, and I think I may have a problem.  I am not going to tell you how many pieces of the cake that I had because I am moving on with my life.  That said, you can choose to make this cake lighter by using reduced-fat or fat-free milk and whipped topping.  That way, your frosting is the only big offense;)  The only change I might make next time is to use a homemade frosting.  I am kind of partial to this one that I like to frost cupcakes with.  In my opinion, canned frosting just isn't as good.  If you want to keep it simple though, go ahead and use canned, it is still delicious!  This was one of MANY dishes that I made for Easter so I was glad to keep this one simple this time around!




Chocolate Eclair Cake

2 (3.5 ounce) packages instant vanilla pudding mix
1 (8 ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
3 cups milk
1 (16 ounce) package graham cracker squares
1 (16 ounce) package prepared chocolate frosting

In a medium bowl, thoroughly blend the pudding mix, whipped topping, and milk.

Arrange a single layer of graham cracker squares in the bottom of a 13x9 inch baking pan. Evenly spread half of the pudding mixture over the crackers. Top with another layer of crackers and the remaining pudding mixture. Top with a final layer of graham crackers.

Spread the frosting over the whole cake up to the edges of the pan.  The frosting will be easier to spread if the cake is covered and chilled for about 30 minutes before spreading. Cover, and chill at least 4 hours before serving, but preferably overnight so that the graham crackers really get a chance to soften.

Source: allrecipes.com

2 comments:

  1. Megan, this cake is AMAZING! I've been eating it for about 30 years, although I haven't made it in quite a long time. Your recipe is exactly the same as mine I think. I had forgotten all about it, I'll have to make it again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love this recipe and I make it all the time. I usually stick the frosting in the microware for 30 seconds then just pour over the top. That way you dont have to mess with spreading it!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails