Friday, April 29, 2011

Roasted Red Pepper Hummus

Have you tried hummus yet?  If you haven't, let me just say that you really need to.  You see, I resisted for many years, I was more of a creamy/spicy type of Dip Addict (yes, I really am a dip addict, just ask my husband).  Something with a base of beans just sounded too healthy and boring.  Not that I don't strive to eat healthy, I do...sometimes.  Well, this dip is healthy but you would never guess it.  My kids even love it.  We prefer to eat it with pita chips, but it is also good with cut up raw veggies.  

I have attempted to make Roasted Red Pepper Hummus a few times now.  My first couple attempts were OK, but I honestly didn't think they were as good as the vat of Hummus that I like to buy at Sam's Club.  This one though?  Even better!  

I apologize, my camera battery died while making this and then it got eaten too fast so I never got a finished product shot!  Well, actually the food processor shot is of the dip finished, I just wanted a better shot;)

Here is what you will need (minus the apples...apples have nothing to do with this recipe, it was what my kids were eating for snack;):



Roasted Red Pepper Hummus

1 can garbanzo beans (a.k.a. chick peas), drained and rinsed
4oz. roasted red bell pepper (or, even better, roast your own!)
1 tablespoon chopped red onion
2-3 cloves of garlic, minced or pressed
1 Tbsp. tahini
juice of 1 lemon
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1/2 Tbsp. honey
1 tsp. sriracha (or to taste)
scant 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 – 1 tsp. kosher salt (to taste)
1 tsp. basil

Combine all ingredients in a blender or food processor and process until smooth. You may have to stop to stir and/or scrape down the ingredients a few times.

Serve with Pita Chips &/or fresh cut up veggies.  If you don't devour it all in one day, don't fear, it will keep just fine in the fridge for up to a week.

Souce: ME!


5 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing. I love, love, love hummus. So good on almost anything! Including sandwiches. I have yet to make my own, but it is on my to-do list. Where can you find tahini in the grocery store? Asian aisle?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it is in the asian isle in my grocery store! I was kind of surprised we had it in my little ND grocery store! Great idea! I bet it WOULD be awesome on a turkey sandwich! I'm going to have to try that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a vat of the the Sam's Club hummus in my fridge right now! I am definitely going to try this one. My girlfriend, Heather, that I paint furniture with made the chicken fried rice and the chicken tortilla soup from your blog...I had the leftovers for lunch yesterday...yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is awesome! I am glad you guys enjoyed it! We love both of those! I hope you enjoy the hummus!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Add me to the hummus fan club - in fact, funny you mention it, I packed turkey sandwiches with a healthy schmear of hummus for lunch most of this week! And sprouts. Any sandwich is made better with sprouts.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails