Friday, April 23, 2010

Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes

This is a great basic mashed potato recipe that I have been meaning to get on here for awhile now.  I have made it several times.  These are a more light and fluffy recipe that goes wonderfully with gravies or sauces although I also think these taste great on their own.  My husband does prefer my other mashed potato recipe (it is thicker) but I think I might prefer these.  I think they are more similar to what I remember my grandma making:)



Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes

Kosher Salt
3 lbs. boiling potatoes (such as Yukon gold- I believe I used Russet here)
1/2 c. milk
1/2 c. butter- unsalted (I sometimes use salted because it is what I typically have on hand)
3/4 c. -1 c. buttermilk
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper

In a large pot, bring 4 Qts. of water and 2 Tbsp. salt to a boil.  Meanwhile, cut the potatoes into 1 1/2 inch cubes and add them to the boiling water.  Bring the water to a boil again, and lower the heat and simmer uncovered for 15-20 minutes, until the potatoes fall apart easily when pierced with a fork.

As soon as the potatoes are tender, drain them,  Mash the potatoes (I usually whip them with my hand-held mixer).  Mix in the butter and milk.  Add enough buttermilk to make the potatoes creamy.  Add 2 tsp. salt and the pepper, to taste.  

Source: Modified from the Barefoot Contessa

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails