Monday, August 9, 2010

Grilled Chicken Sandwich with Apricot Sauce

I am on a roll today, so I am going to try to post a few more recipes from my big backlog.

This is yet another recipe from The Pioneer Woman.  She has certainly been providing me with tons of kitchen inspiration lately.  Try not to be shocked, but this recipe contains NO BUTTER.  Now, that is a rarity for a PW recipe.  If you go easy on the olive oil, it really is a pretty healthy sandwich.  I really adored this sandwich, in fact, I think I really need to make it again, SOON.  The sauce was different, and I am really glad I tried it because it was unexpectedly delicious.  I will say, my kids did not care for it.  Next time, I think I will just let them put their own toppings on their sandwich, which probably will not include the red onions or the sauce.


Grilled Chicken Sandwich with Apricot Sauce

2 whole boneless, skinless chicken breasts, pounded to even out thickness (I marinated my chicken in Italian Salad Dressing)
Sliced Sourdough or other crusty sliced bread
Apricot Preserves
Mayonnaise
Dijon Mustard
Cayenne Pepper (optional)
Baby Spinach
Red Onion (thinly sliced)
Olive Oil

Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper (I skipped this and marinated them for about 4 hours in Italian Dressing).  Drizzle with olive oil (again, I skipped because the Italian dressing contains oil) and grill until they are cooked all the way through.  Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate until needed.

Combine equal parts apricot preserves, Dijon mustard, and mayonnaise.  Add cayenne to taste, refrigerate until needed.  

To assemble, spread apricot sauce on two slices of bread.  Top with chicken, red onion, and baby spinach.  

Serve cold or drizzle with olive oil and grill on a panini grill until browned (I don't own a panini grill so I use my George Foreman grill which works perfectly).

Delicious with kettle cooked potato chips.

Note: The original recipe uses an entire chicken breast for each sandwich.  I found this to be too much.  Once I pounded them out a bit, 1/2 breast was perfect for each sandwich.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails