Thursday, July 14, 2011

Summer Corn Fettuccine

I adore pasta.  I could eat it every single day of my life.  I have yet to meet a more perfect pasta recipe for those summer days than this.  The fresh sweet corn really gives this pasta some amazing flavor.  We have to enjoy those fresh vegetables as much as possible in the short time that we are lucky enough to have them!  I know this pasta is a bit different, but keep an open mind and give it a try!  

My garden corn is not yet ready, so I bought these at my local grocery store.  Check out the conjoined corn cob I found!  LOL!  Yes, I am easily amused:)
 Here are the ingredients that you will need: 
 It is always nice to have an adorable soon-to-be 12 year old doing some of the cooking for you!  
 Delicious!

Summer Corn Fettuccine 

1 pound fettuccine
Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), for drizzling
6 slices smoky bacon, chopped
6 ears corn on the cob, shucked
3 shallots, finely chopped
1 small red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
Freshly ground black pepper

Salt
1 cup half-and-half or cream
1/2 cup chicken stock or dry white wine (I used chicken broth but I think wine would be better)
2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves, chopped
1-2 pinches cayenne pepper
1 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano or Pecorino Romano cheese, divided (I used good quality Parmesan since I had it on hand)
1/2 cup sweet basil leaves

DIRECTIONS
Bring a large pot of water to boil over medium heat. Salt the water, add the pasta and cook to al dente.
Meanwhile, heat a large skillet with a drizzle of EVOO over medium to medium-high heat. Add the bacon and cook for a few minutes until rendered and crisp. 

Put a small bowl inverted into a large bowl, steady the corn cobs on the smaller bowl and scrape the ears. Add three-quarters of the scraped corn and any corn liquid to the pan with the bacon. Add the shallots and red pepper and liberally season with salt and pepper, to taste. Cook until the vegetables are tender, 5-6 minutes.

Add the remaining corn and half-and-half to a food processor and puree until smooth.
Pour the stock or wine into the corn and vegetables and simmer over low heat for a minute to reduce. Stir in the thyme and corn-cream mixture and cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently, to thicken. Add the cayenne and season with salt and pepper, to taste.

Drain the pasta and add it to a large serving bowl. Pour in the sauce, add a couple of handfuls of cheese, about 1/2 cup, and toss. Top with torn basil or chopped tarragon and pass the remaining cheese at the table.

Source: Mrs. Bettie Rocker {Original recipe adapted from Rachael Ray Love + Cook}

2 comments:

  1. Wasn't this fantastic? I made this back in June and we all swooned. Absolutely loved it. So glad you enjoyed it too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks so good! I have bookmarked this try from Look+Cook, but have not got round to it yet!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails