Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Rice Pilaf

Side dishes are something that I typically do not pay enough attention to.  At our typical family meal, I often spend all the time and creativity on the main dish.  As a side, we so often have plain white rice, baked or mashed potatoes, or crusty bread.  Those are all things we enjoy, but everyone needs to spice things up sometimes.  When we go out to eat, I often find that my husband and I enjoy getting rice pilaf as a side, so I thought I'd give it a go!  As you know, I'm not much for boxed mixes typically, so this is from scratch.  It is very easy and delicious though!  Give it a try!  I bet most of you even have most everything you need sitting right there in your kitchen!  
Here are the ingredients that you need (do you like my monstrous bag of rice?):


Rice Pilaf
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup orzo pasta
1/2 cup diced onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup uncooked white rice
2 cups chicken broth

Melt the butter in a lidded skillet over medium-low heat. Cook and stir orzo pasta until golden brown. Stir in onion and cook until onion becomes translucent, then add garlic and cook for 1 minute. 

Mix in the rice and chicken broth. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the rice is tender, and the liquid has been absorbed, 20 to 25 minutes. 

Remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes, then fluff with a fork.

Source: allrecipes

1 comment:

  1. What a great and easy dish to make. I was pleasantly surprised at the flavor this dish has even hubby commented on how good it was. Putting this in my book.
    Terri

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails