Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Sweet Dinner Rolls

Tonight I served these Sweet Dinner Rolls alongside my Baked Potato Soup.  Can I just say, YUM!  I have been known to be a bit of a failure at making rolls, but I think I have redeemed myself with these.  I plan on doing a lot more bread/roll making.  I have recently decided that I am going to start minimizing the store-bought breads that I buy.  It totally yucks me out that they can sit around in my bread drawer for 2+ weeks and still look THE SAME as when I put them in there.  That is just not natural.  For some reason, I always think making breads is such a chore, but it really isn't at all.  It really just requires time and planning ahead, especially if you are like me and can toss the dough in the bread machine for the kneading/rising process.


Sweet Dinner Rolls

1/2 c. warm water (about 110*F)
1/2 c. warm milk
1 egg
1/3 c. butter, softened
1/3 c. white sugar
1 tsp. salt
3 3/4 c. all-purpose flour
1 (.25 oz) package active dry yeast (I buy it in bulk and used 2 1/2 tsp.)
1/4 c. butter, softened

Place water, milk, egg, butter, sugar, salt, flour, and yeast in the pan of the bread machine in the order recommended by the manufacturer.  Select dough/knead cycle & first rise cycle, then press start.

When the cycle finishes, turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface.  Divide dough in half.  Roll each half into a 12 inch circle and spread with softened butter over both entire rounds.  Cut each circle into 8 wedges (a pizza cutter works great for this).  Roll wedges starting at the wide end; roll gently but tightly.  Place point side down on ungreased baking sheet.  Cover with clean kitchen towel and put in a warm place, let rise 1 hour.  Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400*

Bake for 10-15 minutes, until golden (10 on the nose was perfect for me, 15 would have burnt them).

Enjoy!

Source: allrecipes.com  

1 comment:

  1. I've made this recipe before too and really enjoyed it. I wasn't as ambitious as you, so I didn't make those pretty crescents. I just pulled off pieces of dough and dropped them onto the pan. :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails