Thursday, January 20, 2011

Beef with Snow Peas

A Chinese recipe on Diary of a Recipe Addict?!?  Shocking, I know.  I can't help it, my whole family loves Chinese food.  Back in the day (before I was a SAHM) we got Chinese take-out frequently.  When we moved to Bismarck, ND we could never find a Chinese place in town that we thought quite measured up to the ones we loved in Fargo.  For a long time, we ate little to no Chinese food.  Within the past few years I have discovered some Chinese recipes that are nothing short of fabulous.  As a matter of fact, last week I went to a sit down Chinese restaurant with a good friend (it is hailed as the best place in town).  While the food was good, I really think I can do better these days.  Not to mention I can feed my whole family (plus leftovers for my husband for lunch) for less than the $16+tip that it cost for my daughter and I to eat there for lunch portions!  

In the interests of full-disclosure, this isn't technically Beef with Snow Peas.  It is really Beef with Sugar Snap Peas, because that is all they had for fresh peas in my grocery store.  It is ND, and it is January.  I am just thankful that there were ANY fresh peas that looked half decent.  


Beef with Snow Peas

1-½ pound Flank Steak, Trimmed Of Fat And Sliced Very Thin Against The Grain
½ cups Soy Sauce
3 Tablespoons Sherry Or Cooking Sherry
2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
2 Tablespoons Cornstarch
1 Tablespoon Minced Fresh Ginger
8 ounces, weight Fresh Snow Peas, Ends Trimmed
5 whole Scallions, Cut Into Half-inch Pieces On The Diagonal
3 Tablespoons Peanut Or Olive Oil
Crushed Red Pepper, For Sprinkling
Jasmine Or Long Grain Rice, Cooked According To Package

In a bowl, mix together soy sauce, sherry, brown sugar, cornstarch, and ginger. Add sliced meat to bowl and toss with hands. Set aside.

Heat oil in a heavy skillet (iron is best) or wok over high heat. Add snow peas and stir for 45 seconds. Remove to a separate plate. Set aside.

Allow pan to get very hot again. With tongs, add half the meat mixture, leaving most of the marinade still in the bowl. Add half the scallions. Spread out meat as you add it to pan, but do not stir for a good minute. (You want the meat to get as brown as possible in as short amount a time as possible.) Turn meat to the other side and cook for another 30 seconds. Remove to a clean plate.

Repeat with other half of meat, allowing pan to get very hot again first. After turning it, add the first plateful of meat, the rest of the marinade, and the snow peas. Stir over high heat for 30 seconds, then turn off heat. Mixture will thicken as it sits.

Serve immediately over rice. Sprinkle crushed red pepper over the top to give it some spice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails