Saturday, August 21, 2010

Zucchini Au Gratin

Guess what!  We had zucchini for dinner!  I know that you are shocked!  By the time summer is over, I am going to be a zucchini expert.  My husband told me to just pull up the plants, but I refused.  That is for quitters and I'm no quitter!  I am going to keep cooking zucchini until my plants aren't producing anymore.  I'm sure my family will be THRILLED !  Seriously though?  I have found SO many zucchini recipes that I really do just love. Zucchini is such a versatile vegetable!  I am so glad that I tried my hand at growing it this summer.  I will be planting it again, just maybe not 7 plants;P  Anyway, this Zucchini Au Gratin really was fantastic, give it a try.  


Zucchini Au Gratin

3 Tbsp. butter
1/3 c. fresh, minced onion
2 zucchini (about 1 lb.), sliced 1/4 inch thick
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1/8 tsp. nutmeg 
1 Tbsp. flour
1/2 c. milk
3/4 c. Club crackers, crushed
3/4 c. sharp cheddar, shredded

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Melt butter in a medium skillet over medium heat.  Add onion and zucchini and cook for 10 minutes, covered.    

Add salt, pepper, and nutmeg; mix in.  Stir in the flour.  Add the milk and cook on low, stirring, until a sauce if formed.  

Pour into an 8x8 baking dish that has been sprayed with nonstick spray.  Combine the crackers and the cheese, then sprinkle on top of zucchini mixture.  

Bake for 20 minutes or until bubbly and golden brown.   

Source: Adapted from Beth's Favorite Recipes

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails