Monday, February 7, 2011

Broccoli Cheese Dip

As someone that posted recently about the benefits of making my own bread, I am a little embarrassed to post this recipe.  The fact is, every once and a while, we all just have to treat ourselves to some good old-fashioned comfort food.  For me, this is just that.  I grew up eating this dip at A&B Pizza (long since closed down) in my hometown of Dickinson.  Some weekend nights, my dad would order in, broccoli dip and pepperoni and green olive pizza.  The pizza was cut in squares, which I loved.  It meant I could go for the middle slices and avoid eating any of the dreaded crust.  My favorite though, was to eat at A&B so that I could hit the roller rink that was attached to the pizza place after, often capping the night off with a giant pickle.  Oh, the joys of childhood.

When I first moved to Bismarck, I was OVERJOYED!  There was an A&B Pizza, right here in town!  Much to my dismay, they had no clue what I was talking about when I tried to order Broccoli Dip.  I called my dad and vented my frustrations.  Not long after, he ran in to the old owner of the Dickinson A&B who graciously shared his personal recipe for Broccoli Dip.  So, so simple.  So, so yummy.  



Broccoli Cheese Dip

1 lb. American cheese slices, cubed (NOT Velveeta, you may want to get it without the pesky wrappers)
10 oz. chopped frozen broccoli florets (you used to be able to find 10 oz. boxes of frozen chopped broccoli, but you can't anymore.  I let them partially thaw and give them a rough chop myself.)
1 can mushrooms, undrained
1 can cream of mushroom soup

Combine all ingredients in a small slow cooker and warm, stirring occasionally, until it is all melted.

Serve with tortilla chips.  I prefer the yellow kind with this dip.  I don't remember if that is the kind A&B served, but my taste buds tell me it is so.

In My Cooking Diary One Year Ago: Calico Beans

3 comments:

  1. One of my favorites! :) Although it was much better when we could throw peanuts on the floor, play Qbert, and then hit the rink.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Will be trying this very soon... may have to go back to Walmart yet again this week just for the ingredients so I can have it this weekend!

    And your story explains why I got blank stares at the PTO meeting tonight when I told them about the dip. No one remembered A & B having broccoli dip here. Now I see why! LOL!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails