Saturday, February 6, 2010

Calico Beans

I have never been a big fan of beans, but Calico Beans are something that I really enjoy.  I first came across the recipe after I married my husband.  This is something he grew up eating.  My kids all really love it too.  As a matter of fact, when I made it last week, Kade said, "I am the only kid in my class that likes lima beans.  I can't believe that".  I think the reason he likes lima beans so much is because he has only ever encountered them in this delicious recipe.  It makes for an awesome side in the summer and a hearty meal served with a salad in the winter.  It is also very versatile, it is just as good cooked in the slow cooker as it is baked in the oven.


Calico Beans

1/2 lb. ground beef
1/2 lb. bacon, diced
1/2 c. diced onions
1 c. ketchup
2 tsp. prepared mustard
15 oz. can pork and beans
15 oz. can. lima beans, drained
15oz. can kidney beans, drained
15 oz. can butter beans, drained
1 c. brown sugar
1 Tbsp. vinegar

Heat saute pan over med-high heat.  Add onions, ground beef, and bacon.  Cook until browned.  Drain.  Mix in the rest of the ingredients.  

Either bake in a casserole at 350* for 1 hour, or put in crockpot for several hours.




No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails