Monday, January 17, 2011

Clam Chowder

I just adore clam chowder.  As a child, on Christmas Eve dinner at my grandparents house, we always had it as our first course.  I always thought of the meal as so very fancy...mostly because we ate with the good china by candlelight.  After dinner I always looked forward to snuffing out the candles with my grandmothers candle snuffer (is that the technical name?).  As I grew up, I discovered there was nothing extraordinarily fancy about my grandma's clam chowder.  As a matter of fact, it was Campbell's Clam Chowder straight from the can;)  As an adult, it just doesn't do it for me anymore, but this one right here REALLY hits the spot.

Luckily, I married into a family that LOVES to cook.  When my husband and I were newlyweds, I attended one of his family reunions where my mother-in-law purchased a thick cookbook for me filled with delicious family recipes.  That cookbook is an absolute goldmine of wonderful recipes.  Unfortunately, the binding isn't the best and it is so well-thumbed that it is basically in tatters with many pages loose.  Before I lose all of those wonderful recipes, I am making an effort to record my favorites and share them here.

Oh, and if anyone has another family cookbook, I'd love a new one!!!!



Clam Chowder

1 large russet potato, peeled & diced
1/2 c. butter
1 small onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 rib celery, diced
1/2 tsp. white pepper
1/4 tsp. thyme
1/2 c. flour
2 cans (6 1/2 oz. each) minced or chopped clams, reserve juice
8 oz. clam juice
2 c. milk
1 bay leaf
1 tsp. seasoned salt

Rinse starchy liquid off potatoes under cold water.  Place in microwavable bowl with 1/2 c. water.  Cover and microwave on 100% power for 7 minutes or until tender.  Drain off any cooking water.  Set aside.

In saucepan, melt butter on medium-high heat.  Add onion, garlic, and celery.  Saute until vegetables are tender, about 2 minutes.

Whisk together pepper, thyme, and flour; whisk into butter mixture, stirring to blend.  Cook for 1 minute over medium heat, stirring constantly.

Combine reserved clam juice, bottled clam juice, and milk to make 4 c. liquid.  Gradually whisk into flour mixture.  Bring to boil, add bay leaf, and boil until mixture thickens, about 1 minute

Stir in reserved clams and potatoes.  Add seasoned salt; remove and discard bay leaf.

Make 6 cups

Source: Tony's Aunt Brenda

1 comment:

  1. yum! i was just telling my husband that i had a hankering for clam chowda, but can't remember where the recipe is that I used last time and it was SUPERB! it never made it to my blog b/c he literally ate the whole pot in one sitting!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails