Friday, July 16, 2010

Sloppy Joes

Doesn't it feel like summer is going by entirely too fast?  I can hardly believe July is already half over.  Yesterday, my husband and I celebrated our 10 year anniversary, which makes me feel like more than just the summer is flying by entirely too fast.  I am ashamed to say that we did zip for our anniversary.  I have always had such a hard time leaving my kids with people I don't know (especially teenagers I don't know) and I just don't really know any that are at the babysitting age very well.  I envy those that have willing grandparents close by.  What I would give for a relaxing dinner date with my husband once a month.  Well, before long I will have a teenager on my own since my oldest is already turning 11 next week *sob*.  Trust me, I don't want to rush that either.

Anyway, here is *gasp* a recipe.  A very good one at that.  The original recipe came from The Pioneer Woman but, since the recipe made too much for my family of 5 and I decided to modify it a bit (I also made it a tad healthier).  Shhh...don't tell anyone, but I think I might like it even more than my family sloppy joe recipe.


Sloppy Joes

1 1/2 lb. ground beef
1/2 med. onion, diced
1 medium green pepper, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 c. ketchup
1/2 c. water
1 Tbsp. brown sugar, packed
1 1/2 tsp. chili powder
3/4 tsp. dry mustard
1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes (or more to taste)
1 1/2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
Tabasco sauce, to taste
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Buns
Butter

Cook ground beef in a skillet over medium-high heat until browned.  Drain off fat and discard.  

Add onions, green peppers, and garlic.  Cook for a few minutes or until vegetables begin to get soft.

Add ketchup, water, brown sugar, chili powder, red pepper flakes and dry mustard.  Stir to combine and simmer 15 minutes, adding salt and pepper to taste, along with Worcestershire and Tabasco.  Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary.  

Spread rolls/buns with butter and brown on a skillet, griddle, or my favorite method, in the oven under the broiler (butter side up).  Sure, you could skip this step (and many do) but, trust me, you are missing the opportunity to take this sloppy joe to a new level.  

Spoon meat mixture over the rolls and top with a slice of cheese if you are feeling really naughty.  

Enjoy!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails