Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Perfectly Spicy & Sweet Beef Jerky

I just looooooooooovve beef jerky.  Always have.  As a kid I never cared for meat (and spent many lonely nights at the dinner table wishing it would disappear from my plate).  By the time I got to my final years of high school, I had mostly sworn meat off.  I would occasionally eat poultry (very rarely), but never red meat and NOTHING off the bone.  The exception, of course, was always beef jerky.

Since I could easily be a vegetarian if it were not for the deliciousness of beef jerky, you should trust me when I say this is an awesome beef jerky recipe.  Give it a try!  If you don't have a dehydrator, they are pretty inexpensive.  If your kids can tear through the beef jerky like mine can, it would probably be a money saving purchase for you!  I can usually find great deals on lean roasts, like the one pictured below, at Sams club.  Either that, or watch your grocery store for sales!  Just remember, lean cuts are best for beef jerky!

I took a few extra picture detailing the process of making jerky.  The recipe is at the end of the pictures!

Here are the ingredients you will need.  You don't need much pineapple juice, but it is an important flavor component.  I recommend storing what you don't use in small portions in the freezer for next time if you are not a pineapple juice drinker.
 I find that my electric knife works wonderfully for thinly slicing the beef.  I like to place the beef in the freezer for about 30 minutes first, which firms it up and makes it even easier.
Beef distributed on the dehydrator trays.
 What my dehydrator looks like.

 Now, this is NOT a good picture of the jerky.  I need to reshoot this next time.  Don't let that deter you from trying it though!

Perfectly Spicy & Sweet Beef Jerky

1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon garlic powder
2 teaspoons cracked black pepper, or to taste
4 pounds lean round roast (or other very lean cut), sliced very thin
1/2 cup brown sugar
2/3 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup teriyaki sauce
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
5 tablespoons liquid smoke flavoring
1/2 cup pineapple juice
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes, or to taste (optional)


In a small bowl or cup, mix together the onion powder, garlic powder, and some cracked black pepper. 

In a saucepan over medium heat, mix together the brown sugar, soy sauce, teriyaki sauce, Worcestershire sauce, balsamic vinegar, liquid smoke flavoring and pineapple juice. Heat until the brown sugar has completely dissolved. Add the seasoning mixture to the marinade.  Pour over the meat, and mix by hand to coat really well. Seal the bowl, and refrigerate for at least 3 hours to marinate (overnight is best though).

Arrange the beef strips on the rack of a dehydrator. Dry for 5 hours, or to your desired dryness.

Store in refrigerator. 


One Year Ago:  Italian Wedding Soup

1 comment:

  1. Can this jerky be made without the worcestershire sauce? That has fish in it. Im allergic to fish.thnx

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails