Saturday, March 12, 2011

Hot Fudge Sauce

My family has a real weakness for ice cream.  I should also mention, we are a bit snobbish about our ice cream.  Not just any will do.  No, it has to be of the rich premium variety.  Whenever I see our favorite brands go on sale, I stock up.  Yes, I have been known to load my cart with 10 containers of ice cream.  Gotta problem with that?  OK, maybe I need an intervention.  Seriously though, I always think that if I stock up, we will be good until next time it goes on sale.  That never happens though.  No, if we have more ice cream, we eat more ice cream.  

Anyway, we just LOVE hot fudge sauce with our ice cream.  I really like this recipe because it uses everyday ingredients that I always have on hand.  If you don't have a family of 5 that eats ice cream like there is no tomorrow, you may want to half this recipe.

Here are the ingredients you need!

Hot Fudge Sauce 

2 cups sugar
4 Tablespoons flour
2/3 cup cocoa
2 cup milk (I used whole.  If you want it EXTRA rich, try subbing out some milk for cream:)
4 Tablespoons butter
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (per 1/3 of recipe, optional)-I omitted
1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract (per 1/3 of recipe, optional)-I omitted


In a medium bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients.

Over medium heat, combine milk, butter and vanilla until the butter has melted.

Add dry ingredients to the milk mixture, constantly whisking.

Boil, stirring constantly until thick and smooth, about 5 minutes.

Let cool and refrigerate. Will last a week if you don’t eat it all first.

makes 3.5 cups

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails