Monday, February 22, 2010

Sweet and Sour Chicken A.K.A. Fire Alarm Chicken

I'm sure you are wondering why on earth I have nicknamed this Fire Alarm Chicken.  Well, the answer is simple.  No, it isn't spicy, it did, however smoke my house up worse than ever before.  It was so bad, I had to open multiple window and leave them open for quite awhile.  Now, since I live in North Dakota, you should no that isn't very pleasant in February.  My house reeked like smoke for DAYS.  Now, I'm not trying to discourage you from trying this.  It really is so so good.  I know this will shock you, but the smoke could have been caused more by the cook than by the recipe.  I'm not saying that is the case, I'm just saying it is a possibility;0)  

Smoke aside, I do believe I will try to make this again.  It was very good, probably the best Sweet and Sour Chicken recipe I have ever made.  So, thank you, Melanie at My Kitchen Cafe for the great recipe.  

Sweet and Sour Chicken

Chicken:
3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
salt and pepper
1 c. cornstarch
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 c. canola oil

Cut boneless chicken breasts into chunks.  Season with salt and pepper.  Dip chicken in cornstarch (I tossed in a ziplock bag with the cornstarch and shook until well-coated), then in egg.  Fry in a little oil until browned but not cooked through.  Place in a single layer in a baking dish.  Mix sauce ingredients (below) together and pour over chicken.  

Sauce:
3/4 c. sugar
4 Tbsp. ketchup
1/2 c. vinegar
1 Tbsp. soy sauce
1 tsp. garlic salt

Bake for 1 hour at 325*.  Turn chicken every 15 minutes.  If you like extra sauce, make another batch of sauce and bring it to a boil on the stove-top.  Stir constantly and let cook over medium heat until thickened and reduced (about 6-8 minutes).  

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails