Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Chicken Lo Mein

My entire family adores Chinese food.  When my kids find out I am making 'Chinese' it seems that they instantly become more open-minded about what they are going to be eating.  It is SO SO rare that any of them don't care for a meal with Oriental flare.  Could it be that they know they get to eat with chop sticks?  Whatever it is, I'm not complaining.  It usually means a hearty meal packed with lean meats and vegetables.  What mom doesn't love their kids gobbling that up?  

This Lo Mein was a real winner that I know I will be making again soon.  I doubled the recipe for my family of 5 and hardly had enough to send with my hubby for lunch the next day.  Did I say that all of my children had seconds {or thirds}?  A total winner. 

Chicken Lo Mein

1 – 1 1/2 pounds chicken breast, sliced very thinly

Marinade:
1 Tb soy sauce
1 1/2 tsp cornstarch

Sauce:
2 Tb oyster sauce
2 tsp soy sauce
4 Tb beef broth
1 Tb granulated sugar

8 ounces linguine, prepared to al dente
1 tsp sesame oil

1/4 cup canola oil
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 large carrot, chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
1/2 cup chopped cabbage, such as Napa
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1-2 cups bean sprouts
3 green onions, sliced in 1 inch segments, white and green parts
*note: I like to chop up the white parts small and leave the green parts in longer pieces

Combine marinade ingredients with the chicken and allow to sit for 20 minutes. While the chicken is marinating, prepare the remaining ingredients.

In a small bowl, combine the oyster sauce, soy sauce, beef broth, and sugar. Set aside.

Boil noodles as per package instructions. Drain the noodles and toss with the sesame oil.

Heat a wok (or large, deep frying pan) over medium-high heat. Add the 1/4 cup of oil. Add the chicken. Stir fry chicken until cooked – about 5 minutes. Remove from wok and set aside.

Add another 1 Tb of oil to the wok if needed. When the oil is hot, add the garlic. Stir-fry until garlic browns, then add the carrots. Stir-fry for about 1 minute, then add the shredded cabbage and mushrooms. Cook for 2 more minutes. Add the noodles, bean sprouts, and green onions and cook for about 2 more minutes.

Add the sauce to the wok. Return the chicken to the pan. Mix everything together and serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails