Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Layer Salad

I just can't wait a day longer to post this recipe.  My grandpa K. came for Easter and throughly enjoyed this.  Before he left, I asked if he wanted any of the leftovers and this was the only thing he came out and asked for.  My dad called me a couple days later to let me know he was raving  about it and he wants the recipe, he thinks he would like to live on this salad alone.  So here you go grandpa!

I am sorry for the picture.  You see, I went to 3 different stores looking for a pretty glass triffle dish large enough for this salad and I couldn't find a thing.  I was even willing to go with a large, plain glass bowl and still no luck.  What you see below is the top portion of my cake storage container.  Nice, huh!  As you can see I kept it very  fancy for our Easter dinner!

This layer salad is something that I grew up eating.  My grandma W. (who did not love to cook) made this for pretty much ever special occassion back in the day.  I looooooved it.  I was a stinker though, I remember scraping off the top portion and skipping the lettuce all-together.  Pretty soon, all grandma would have left of her pretty salad was the lettuce!  I was a weird child.  Now, I find I prefer to eat all parts of the salad.  



Layer Salad

SALAD:
1-2 heads Iceberg Lettuce, Chopped (I only used one)
8 ounces, fluid Baby Spinach, Washed And Dried
Salt And Pepper, to taste
8 whole Hard Boiled Eggs, Chopped
16 ounces, weight Bacon, Cooked And Chopped
4 whole Tomatoes, Chopped
1 bunch Green Onions, Thinly Sliced
8 ounces, weight Cheddar Cheese, Grated
1 bag (10 Ounce) Frozen Peas, Partially Thawed

FOR THE DRESSING:
3/4 cups (Real) Mayonnaise
3/4 cups Sour Cream
1 1/2 Tablespoon Sugar (more To Taste)

In a clear glass bowl, layer salad ingredients in the order they appear above, concentrating ingredients around the perimeter of the bowl and filling in the center with lettuce, if needed. End with the layer of peas.

Combine dressing ingredients in a separate bowl and mix well. Pour over the top of the peas and spread to cover, bringing dressing all the way out to the edges of the bowl.

Cover and refrigerate for up to 12 hours. Toss just before serving.

Source: adapted from Pioneer Woman

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails