Saturday, March 12, 2011

Drunken Pork Chops

It is that time again!  Time to clean out my picture files and post all the recipes that I haven't quite gotten around to sharing over the past couple of months before they become forgotten!  These Drunken Pork Chops were very good.  I am thinking it could be easily modified as a slow cooker meal.  Instead of simmering for 45 minutes in the pan, I would guess, they could easily cook in the slow cooker for 6-8 hours on low.  Honestly, I think they might even be better because with the long, slow cooking they would become especially tender.  

I know the ingredient list is a bit odd, don't be afraid though!  These weird ingredients really do work well together!  I would recommend NOT using Shock Top though.  They would be best with an Amber Bock or something similar.  Also, I'm not sure why, but it appears I did not adequately thicken my sauce.  Impatience?  Most likely!

Drunken Pork Chops

5-6 pork chops- bone-in or boneless, your choice
Salt and pepper to taste
1 bottle of beer (the darker the beer, the more flavorful the sauce. I use an Amber Ale or a Black Ale. People have heard mixed reviews using Guinness, some say it is too strong.)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup ketchup (I know, I know....but TRUST ME!)
1 Tbsp. Cornstarch
1/4 c. water

Put a little bit of extra virgin olive oil in the bottom of a skillet. Season the chops with salt and pepper and brown both sides. While pork chops are browning, combine beer, ketchup, and brown sugar in a bowl. Pour sauce mixture over the pork chops and simmer for 40-45 minutes. Remove pork chops and thicken the sauce a bit. In a small cup, combine 1 TBSP of cornstarch in 1/4 of water. Stir to combine and add to boiling sauce, whisk so no lumps form. Put pork chops back in the thickened sauce, flip to coat. Serve over mashed potatoes or rice. 
Have your drink and eat it too!

Source: Siggy Spice



2 comments:

  1. SO glad you liked them! I still need to try them in the crockpot...if you try it before I do, let me know :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was DELICIOUS - a hit with the hubs and the 2 year old. I made the recipe as written, but next time, I'd probably add some garlic and onion to the chops, and reverse the sugar and ketchup amounts (more ketchup, less sugar)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails