Monday, March 8, 2010

Kielbasa Skillet Stew

I am ashamed.  It has been over a week since I last posted a recipe.  I had planned to try to put one up every weekday.  Well, I certainly haven't stopped cooking, I have lots of recipes that have been cooked and photographed (and eaten;).  Unfortunately, the weekdays really fly by when you are out of town every weekend.  My oldest son, Kade, has kept us incredibly busy hauling him to extra hockey practices during the week and hockey tournaments out of town on the weekend.  There are 2 more weeks of this and I am counting down the days.  I love to watch him play hockey, but during tournament time at the end of the season, I don't feel like any of us have time for anything other than hockey.


The following recipe can't exactly be called quick, after all, it needs to simmer for 45 minutes, but it is certainly easy.  It comes together in a snap, then, if you are like me, you can clean your much neglected house while it simmers.   


Kielbasa Skillet Stew

5 bacon strips (today I used peppered because it is what I had, usually I don't though)
1-11/2 lb. smoked kielbasa or Polish sausage
1 medium onion, chopped
2-15 oz. cans Great Northern Beans, undrained
15 oz. tomato sauce
4 oz. chopped green chilies
2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
1/2 medium green pepper, chopped
1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/8 tsp. black pepper

In a 12 inch skillet, cook bacon until crisp.  Remove to paper towel to drain.  Cook sausage and onions in drippings over medium heat until onion is tender; drain. 

Stir in remaining ingredients; bring to a boil.  Reduce heat; cover and simmer 45 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.  Crumble bacon, sprinkle over stew. 

Yields 6 servings 

Source: Taste of Home (a long, long time ago;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails