Monday, March 22, 2010

California BLT's

I'm baaaaaaaack!  Hockey season is now officially over.  We spent Thursday-Sunday in Grand Forks at the last hockey tourney of the year.  It was fun, back I must say, I am ready for a break.  My kids are currently in ZERO activities.  This never happens and I am kind of excited about it.  It will be nice to have a little break before they start summer hockey/camps/swimming/baseball this summer.  I think I need to find something for Grace to do soon though.  We are always so busy hauling the boys around that she kind of gets left out.  She is still little, but I vow to change that next year.  I can't wait for her to start dance in September!!!

A few weeks ago, I checked Barefoot Contessa At Home out from the library.  I LOVE to check cookbooks out from the library.  I try to check out a new one at least once a month.  I am currently due for a new one, but I am a bit afraid to go to the library and find out how much I have racked up in late fees.  With all the hockey tournaments/extra practices the boys have been going to, we just haven't had the time to head over to the library in far too long.  Anyway, here is a fantastic recipe that I made out of my Barefoot Contessa cookbook.  I know I will be making it again this summer, what a great twist on the classic BLT!


California BLT's

12 thick-cut slices smoked bacon
8 slices good white bread, cut 1/2 inch thick (bakery white/Pepperidge Farm Hearty White recommended, I used Texas Toast brand and that worked great too)
1/2 c. mayo (Hellman's recommended, I used light generic)
2 ripe Hass avocados
juice of 1 lemon
2 Lg. ripe tomatoes, thickly sliced
kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Place a baking rack on a sheet pan and arrange the bacon on the rack in a single layer.  Bake for 15-25 minutes, until the bacon is browned and crisp.  Drain on paper towels and set aside.

Place 8 slices of bread on a sheet pan and toast them for 5 minutes.  Turn the slices and toast for 1 more minute, until all the bread is evenly browned.  (You should know, I cheated and used my toaster;P)  Place 4 slices on a cutting board.  Spread each slice with about 1 Tbsp. of mayo.  Cover the slices with a layer of lettuce.  Place 3 slices of bacon on each sandwich.  Peel the avocados and slice them 1/2 inch thick.  Toss the avocado slices gently with the lemon juice and arrange on top of the bacon.  Add a layer of tomato slices and sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper.  

Spread the remaining 4 pieces of toasted bread with 1 Tbsp. of mayo and place, mayo side down, on the sandwiches.

Makes 4 Sandwiches

1 comment:

  1. Megan, I just love BLT's and love them even more with avocado. I have one of her cookbooks too, it's great! Thank you so much for participating in Cookbook Sundays! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails